Home About Me Recipes Image Map

Monday, February 17, 2014

Venue Trouble

I'm sure in a few months from now, I'll read this post and think how silly I was for worrying so much because by then, I'll have a venue (hopefully!).

So B is all about the wedding budget. And by budget, I mean spending pennies on the wedding. My mom had mentioned when we first got engaged that we should set our tents up at our MA house. Convenient, its pretty, oh and its free. I immediately shot that idea down, but not even an hour later, B had the same idea. I do not love the idea at all and feel like our wedding in our backyard would be seriously stressful. Am I being irrational? I'm having a hard time explaining to B how I feel about this idea.

Pros:
  • It's free. I get that, but we have one venue that we like where we know the owner and he's willing to barter party rentals to use his barn (aka a free venue). We feel like we have some bargaining tactics because we are in the wedding industry (not sure if I've mentioned yet that we also own a DJ company), so we can try a referral system or links on websites, etc. So our house bring free doesn't hold a ton of bearing with me. 
  • Convenience. Everything would literally be ten steps away. This to me is more of a con than a pro, but for after party purposes and the fact that all of our friends are big drinkers and wont want to drive after the wedding, it does hold some ground to not have to worry about transportation. Renting a limo/bus for 30 of our friends would be pricey, so I see his point. 
  • Significance of our home. My mom loves this idea, from getting ready in our house to having all of our relatives at our home (yikes!), she thinks it would be so sweet. I don't disagree, but I do see myself getting worked up over this more than it would be worth. 
  • Bathrooms. A weird one, but having an outdoor wedding means some sort of porta potty. Not ideal in long gowns. Our house has a seperate bathroom for our employees that's connected to our house, but can be locked so you can only get in from the outside but can't get into the house.
Cons:
  • It's not special. This is the part I can't explain to B. I live there. I see this place every day. It's not somewhere new and different. Oh, not to mention that we work here 24/7 and the house brings a lot of stressful feelings because it's related to our business.
  • There is no where to have a ceremony. Only enough room for the reception tent.
  • There is no room for parking. This could be fixed by parking down the street at the town hall or park, but there would still have to be some sort of valet from there to our house. Not a problem we cant solve, but not ideal. 
  • It's my backyard. Meaning I would drive myself absolutely crazy cleaning/organizing,vacuuming every speck of dirt from my yard. I guess some would see this as a good thing because I have control over the space, but I see it as added stress seeing my wedding get put together for a week. 
  •  The business is run out of the same property. Trucks, trailers, bounce houses, all of it would have to be moved. Leaving the business for weeks is going to be hard enough, but planning everything out for the business to move temporarily for a few days would be hard. More planning on my part. Again, fixable, but more work for me. 
  • I have zero desire to get ready in my bedroom, where I sleep every night. Weird. I've always dreamed about getting ready somewhere special with my bridal party. And I dont want to sleep with B the night before, but it seems silly to get a hotel and then drive back to our house later for our wedding. 
We are both keeping our options open and he is being super easy going about all of this. But if he had it his way, it would be at our house. I understand there has to be compromise, but I'm holding my ground on this one. Especially because there is potential for us to get a venue for next to nothing. And he knows that, so at this point we wait to see the venues and what they will offer. 


No comments :

Post a Comment