Home About Me Recipes Image Map

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Post Christmas Depression

Before I start this post, I figured I should probably include a disclaimer: I am so so grateful for all of our family and friends and all the gifts we got this Christmas. We are very lucky to come home for Christmas and to give and receive some wonderful gifts.

With that being said, I am having a hard time getting out of my Christmas slump this year...I always get extremely sad on Christmas night that its all over. Not even that there aren't any more presents to open, but that the christmas music isn't on the radio anymore, the lights get taken down, and all the stores immediately switch to Valentine's Day (Target definetely lost a few points in my book for that one). It's always rush, rush, rush for the big day to get here and then afterwards the days just drag. This year was extra emotional for me because B and I have been discussing not coming home for Christmas next year. I am not looking forward to telling my mom about that one. This is completely devastating for me, but it is so expensive to travel (especially with Bentley) and it's just getting hard splitting our time for the holidays between MA and FL. It makes a lot of sense, I'm just not ready to let go of family Christmases (you're talking to the girl who still wanted to sleep at home this year so she could see the tree with presents under it in the morning). My dad is probably the biggest fan of Christmas you will ever meet and he's about the only person that shares my love for Christmas in such a big way. I feel like without him around, I won't be able to enjoy it as much. Also, it is so not Christmas in FL when its 85 degrees. It's always been hard for me to get into the true Christmas spirit while there.

So my question is how do you handle spending Christmas away from families? I need coping mechanisms for the emotional turmoil I'll be going through next year. I am excited that we can start our own traditions, but it's still a hard transition and not one I thought I would have to make this soon.

No comments :

Post a Comment