Home About Me Recipes Image Map

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The Groom Matters Too

I have been planning our wedding in my head for approximately 2 years now. I have never shared any of my ideas with B, so once he proposed, I got down to business to figure out what HE wanted. The things that I really have my heart set on (date, colors) he was easily agreeable too, if not easily convinced. There are some things we are definitely not on the same page about though, the biggest being budget.

I know how expensive weddings can be (and how easily they can get out of hand), so my very first wedding planning step was to create a very loose budget. Talk about sticker shock. I was estimating bare minimum for a lot of things, and it's still more than I wanted. B was way more shocked than I was and he is not really seeing the purpose of spending $25,000 on one day. Good point. But its my dream, I've been thinking about this day for practically forever. It's a celebration of us and everything we've been through (which is a lot), so it's more than just one day. He understands my point, but doesn't necessarily agree. This is hard. B makes some really good points, like $25,000 can go to my school loans, or one of our two mortgages, or a car payment. I have a feeling making decisions is going to be tricky.


Planning a wedding that is over 18 months away, and not having much of a budget to work with is making it slightly difficult to start planning. We want to book a venue soon, just to get it out of the way, but so many other things come into play (cost of caterer, liquor, etc), that its not just booking a venue, its researching everything else too.

The other major thing we don't agree on is the ceremony. I LOVE our church, I've been going there forever, and the church is absolutely stunning. I have always thought we would get married there, but B is not religious, at all, and neither is his family or friends. That makes about half of our guest list who would be uncomfortable in a church. My mom cried (happy tears) when I told her I wanted to have the ceremony at the church. Now that B has expressed that he doesn't want to have the ceremony there, I'm stuck. I don't want him to be uncomfortable or dreading any part of our wedding. Our priest is also very strict and has been known not to marry someone if he disagrees with their way of life (having a baby before marriage, living together, non-involvement in church), so it could be a very lengthy process to even get into the church.

Church interior
Major hurdles to get over, but I'm still in a blissful state that we are getting MARRIED! Oh, I sent my ring back home to MA today to get resized and literally shed a tear at Fed Ex. Pathetic.

No comments :

Post a Comment